Thursday 18 April 2013

Age is just a number.

Getting old is an inevitable part of our existence. Whether you try and fight it with a face lift or botox, numerically, we will all experience old age if we're lucky enough to make it that far. 


I love elderly people, not in a patronising way; I just find them so interesting. They've experienced so much, and everything about them is an illustration of their stories, from the wrinkles on their face, to the twisted veins on their hands. It is thanks to their generation that we can live the way we do. After everything they've given to society, getting old seems like a pretty raw deal, but many take it in their stride.

However, I place the emphasis 'many'; not everybody takes old age well. Don't be fooled by their seemingly innocent frailty; not all OAPs grow into those warm, friendly Grandparent figures who touch your arm and call you 'dear'. 

This realisation comes after a display of abuse from a man who must have been at least seventy yesterday. It all started when he almost ran me over due to his sheer lack of concentration and ignorance. I personally, didn't even notice; I unknowingly had a close shave with death. The couple behind me however, saw it happening in slow motion and were more shook up than I was; so shook up in fact that they tapped on this gentleman's window on my behalf, and told him to be more careful and look where he was going. Pretty fair advice, no? Clearly not, as the old man mouthed abuse behind the glass and gave a number of rude hand gestures before he drove off. ASBO Grandad I tell you. 


It always used to annoy me when for many people around me, visiting their Grandparents was a chore. They smelt of moth balls, their house was boring and they made them watch Songs of Praise. I never understood it as I have such a good relationship with my own Grandparents, but if my Grandad was like that crazy old man, I probably wouldn't want to see him either. To be fair, a lot of old people are grumpy; I encounter them at work all the time. They think the world owes them something, and maybe we do, but that certainly isn't the way to go about it. However, instead of getting annoyed or taking offence, I now merely vow that I will never end up as bitter as them. 

It always fills me with joy when I hear of all the marvellous elderly people. I heard on the news only last night about an 89-year-old woman who stood for an hour and a half outside Margaret Thatcher's funeral as a mark of respect. Similarly, one only needs to remember the Queen last summer who stood in the pouring rain on a boat along the River Thames for a ridiculously long time for her own Jubilee. There's also an elderly lady down my Nan's road who in her late eighties, still walks her dog, and continued to do so in the ice and snow only a month back. 

All of those work shy people of my generation who wouldn't even stand in the street handing out flyers, should look to these remarkable elderly people for an example. 

Now, considering I am yet to experience old age, I guess I'm in no position to comment, but after having the pleasure of meeting so many pleasant older people on a regular basis, together with the strong relationship I have with my own Nan and Grandad I'd say, it wouldn't be too difficult to live your life to the full, till the very end.


I've been particularly filled with hope watching the series Off Their Rockers on ITV.  If you haven't seen it the last few weeks, I'd advise you catch up because it is honestly one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It's like Balls of Steel with pensioners, but better. Sunday nights at 7.30 or alternatively, there's a lot on YouTube as well; it really is a must see. It shows old people growing old disgracefully, and playing pranks on members of the public. They demonstrate that age is just a number; it's your spirit and attitude that defines you. I can only hope to grow old with a similar attitude to life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment