Thursday 25 April 2013

Farewell Florence.

This week has been an emotional roller coaster as I said goodbye to an old friend, and welcomed a new companion into my life...

To my dearest Florence,

I wouldn't be where I am today without you. I saved every penny I had from the age of fourteen to have you, and you've never let me down. At the risk of sounding cliché... it's not you... it's me. 

I need you to understand that this breakup isn't anything personal; although I am essentially trading you in for a younger model, you're perfect the way you are. 

It's been a roller coaster the past two and a half years hasn't it... You've seen me through two house moves, five driving tests and over £2,000. You've witnessed my transition from school to uni, from child to adult. You've seen me laugh, seen me cry, and accompanied me on some of my most important journeys so far. 

We've had some real adventures you and me. The time I lost you in a car park. The time we skidded across the road and bounced like a ball in a pinball machine. All those times you ferried me and  Zoe to and from school, not to mention every single time we got lost in Milton Keynes; every journey to Milton Keynes is an unexpected, spontaneous discovery of KFC drive-thrus and roads home we've never seen before. 

You weren't the coolest car in the school car park but you were my pride and joy. When all those other cars used to toot at us on roundabouts, we all know they were just jealous. They were only angry because they couldn't have you. 

You've been one of the most loyal friends in my life. Even when I hit pot holes, took corners too fast, or bounced off curbs, you never resented me. Even when I deflated your tyres, you knew I was only trying to help. When I let you get so dirty I couldn't see out of your mirrors, or didn't fill up your screen wash, you just waited patiently. 

You listened to all my bad singing. 

You often let me pull away in third gear if I wasn't concentrating. 

Your clock was always 7 minutes faster than any other clock, to make sure you got me places on time. 

You know me like no one else Florence. 

You've touched my life in so many ways, and I like to think I've marked  yours too; in particular the dents in your alloys, the KFC coke stain on the drivers seat and the split in your bumper. All these are  permanent memoirs of our shenanigans. 

It truly breaks my heart for us to be parted. 

No one knows how to find your gears just so, or hitch the key upwards and tweak it slightly left like I do, but you deserve more than this. Someone who will check your oil regularly, someone who can avoid pot holes, someone who will take you through a car wash more than twice a year; I'm doing this for you Florence...

You were my first car and no one will ever take your place. There's a little emptiness in my heart already that no heated wind screen, no central locking or smooth gears could ever fill. I will listen to our playlist with nostalgia, and remember you with fondness, but for now I leave you with this, our anthem: 



So this is where we go our separate ways Florence. I hope you find someone who will love you as much as I have, as I do. 

I'll never forget you. 

Farewell. 



1 comment:

  1. Aw this is truly lovely...and sad! Thank you to you Florence for the little journies you have taken me! You were a lovely car and a lovely colour! You shall be missed!!

    ReplyDelete