Sunday 14 April 2013

An unexpected restoration of faith in humanity.

It's that time of year again; Britain's Got Talent has returned to our screens. Cue the weird and the wonderful crawling from the shadows ...


I have to say, I'm a self-confessed, reality TV junky. I love watching people make utter fools of themselves. What I love most about Britain's Got Talent though, is that it shows that the majority of Britain doesn't have talent; but it does have a lot of very 'special' people. 

After the X factor at Christmas, there's this kind of TV lull. They get you hooked for three months then bam ... you've got nothing to watch but Dancing on Ice. Thankfully, the new series of Britain's Got Talent didn't disappoint. 

It made me laugh, it made me cry.  What other programme honestly has this power? 

It is quite literally an unorganised circus of regular, everyday members of the public; it's genius.


For those of you who have watched Britain's Got Talent before, you will know it is a search for a single, unique act who could perform at the Royal Variety Showa showcase of talent fit for the Queen. This unsurprisingly attracts all sorts of acts and people; some suitable, some ... not so, to say the least. Why the Queen would want to watch a 40-year-old stripper with a bad tan, or a man dressed as a vicar waltzing with a broom I don't know, but it's all part of the show. 


It is for these weird, but memorable acts that the show has got it's name, but for me, it is the moments of revelation that get me. Not everybody who enters the show is crazy; it attracts people from all walks of life, of all ages, even animals, and everybody has a story to tell. 

Generally, I'm not a particularly emotional person, and many will think it sad that something like this is what tips me over the edge, but I can't help it. An actor with a script just doesn't work for me, but the people who I'm talking about are real. Real people. Real talent. Real stories to tell.

Don't get me wrong, these moments are rare, but they restore my faith in humanity. It is when my neck goes cold, when the hairs on my arms stand up, when I'm left speechless, that amazes me every time. When that lump appears in my throat or my eyes start welling, I have been inspired. 

These particular contestants for me highlight how lucky I am and truly alter my perspective. They wake me up from my senseless groaning, motivate me to get on with things and appreciate what I have. People endure unimaginable pain on a daily basis, and yet they have more courage, personality, and positive spirit than most of us. 

So here's just two of the acts from last night that truly touched me, and reminded me how fortunate I am. 

Jack Carroll 

Jack is a stand-up comic. From the minute he stepped on stage he was visibly, physically impaired, and audiences expected the classic sob story. However, we couldn't have been more wrong. Jack's jokes centred on his cerebral palsy. He didn't want any sympathy, he didn't display any self-pity, in fact he used his disability to his advantage. I have to say his jokes had me in stitches, and I was shocked to learn he was only fourteen, but it was his character that caught me. Such positivity and courage was admirable and reminded me that I should be thankful for the little things we take for granted like good health. He is a true inspiration. 


Attraction

Attraction are a group of shadow dancers from Hungary. They were so humble, despite the fact their act was by far one of the most unique and cleverest things I've ever seen; I've re-watched it three times already this evening. I never thought I could be effected emotionally by dance, but their act truly moved me to tears. I don't think I'll ever listen to Emeli Sande's Read All About It the same again. Although I loved it before, they gave it a whole other dimension of meaning when they played out a true love story through dance, making the entire setting with their bodies. The story clearly meant a lot to the lead dancer and like Jack, I recognised how both had turned their difficulties into strengths as a means of coping. 


So for those of you who may not be watching Britain's Got Talent this year, from this post I hope you can be persuaded otherwise. It is human. We watch these stories played out from a distance, through a cold, shiny, hard TV screen, but the power of human feeling melts through this barrier. It gives us that gentle nudge that we all occasionally need to remind us how to lucky we are. 

Although I may look forward to watching other people's mishaps, it is these rare moments where people do something so wonderfully unexpected and heartwarming, that remind me that Britain truly does have 'special' people, special, in the true sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment